GOLD AND SILVER
Treasures from the Kremlin
Arms and Armor
Gold, decorated in niello pattern of
floral scrolls with large precious stones in raised, chased
mounts. The rim carries a liturgical inscription and niello
depictions of a three-figure Deesis and the cross of Golgotha.
Below this are round medallions with the symbols of
the Evangelists. An incised inscription in the heart-shaped
panels on the base states that the chalice was manufactured
in memory of Czar Fedor Ivanovich.
Presented by Czaritsa Irina Fedorovna to the Cathedral of the Archangel Michael in 1598
Gold, in the form of a single-cupolaed
church with bulbous dome. Cubic shape with two rows of gables.
Decorated with chased and niello foliate ornament and precious
stones. The inscription on the base tells us that the censer
was presented by Czar Mikhail Fedorovich to the Troitse-Sergiev
Monastery in 1616.
Masters: Tretiak Pestrikov and Daniil Osopov.
Altar Gospels, printed with woodcuts
and vignettes. Cover silver gilt, chased, with enamel
medallions at the center and corners. The central medallion
bears a depiction of the Descent into Hell, the corners the
Evangelists with their symbols against architectural
Silver; chasing, painted enamel, gilding
|Treasure from the Kremlin||Icons||Arms and Armor||Gold and Silver|